Today, I fired off an email to Ancestry.com’s Customer Support to let them know that I had my DNA re-tested with Family Tree DNA after my initial disappointment with the service there. Results are due back in January.
When my DNA order was fulfilled more than a year ago by Ancestry.com, there was a problem “uploading” the data to the DNA Console of Ancestry.com. Whenever I initially logged into the console, it would not show me any results. So after many go arounds with support, the problem was reportedly fixed. Now, when I look at the results though, I don’t see a single reference to my father’s name. 80% of the results are coming back as being related to people with the surname of “O’Leary”. Now I understand that adoption and/or other issues may affect the surnames, but with that initial “upload” error mess, I seriously wonder whether my results were screwed up with someone else’s. I really didn’t ever get any satisfactory explanation of what really happened nor did I ever feel comfortable that I am looking at the proper results. Clearly I felt like a “pioneer” with the Ancestry DNA project. When I asked for a free retest, I was denied.
So, two weeks ago, I decided to have my DNA retested by Family Tree DNA. The full boat. I really hope the error wasn’t on the part of Ancesty.com. If the DNA doesn’t match, I think at the very least I will deserve a refund from Ancestry.com.
No reply is necessary unless you have new information as to what happened with my results. I just thought you should know that i am one potentially unhappy customer with your service… but I think I told you that in an earlier communication.
If the results match, then at least I can rest comfortably knowing that I did have the correct results all along. But until that second set of DNA results arrive, I will always question whether I am looking at my relatives in the Ancestry.com DNA console.
I guess we will know soon.